ad·ven·ture \ əd-ˈven-chər \ noun: an exciting or remarkable experience

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Three Women and A Sari


You know... there's an art to wearing a sari
(everybody knows THAT).

Well, on Sunday,
I went to church feeling pretty goorgeeous
until one Auntie said,
"Looking very bew.dee.ful in your sari...
but your pallu folds are wrong."

"OH NO", I thought.
"Not... my FOLDS!"

See... women in every region wrap saris differently...

and we were in a different State.

And... uh... a sari is one very long piece of fabric
and if your folds are wrong...
well...
you just might have to start over.

Which is what they did.

They took me in the back room and re-dressed me.


This Auntie tried to just change my pallu
(the end of the sari that goes over the left shoulder)



but... nope... that just wasn't gonna do.


They decided that they had to start over.

I was really glad to have on my blouse and floor length petticoat...

(even though they're so dang hot!)


So anyway.

They folded...

and they wrapped...

and they folded...

and they wrapped...



And then they gathered

and they pinned.


Wikipedia says that in Hinduism,
the naval of the Supreme Being
is considered to be the source of life and creativity,
hence the midriff is to be left bare when wearing a sari...

Makes me glad that I am not a Hindu.

Geepers.

Yikes.


Living overseas is pretty much all about being humbled...
every day.



Finally, she pinned my pallu.



Twice.



Or maybe three times.



This time it passed the Auntie Inspection
and I was just darn glad about that!



So, the Aunties straightened my front pleats... again...



and I was done!



Taaaa ddddaaaa!